Cawthorne Education Foundation  


Cawthorne Education Foundation is a registered charity and was established by William Cawthorne in 1674 to maintain Cawthorne's Endowed School in perpetuity.  The Foundation Trust owns the School buildings and other property and the income from this contributes to maintaining the school and support the education of the pupils.


Cawthorne’s Endowed is a small rural Primary School at the heart of the village of Abbeystead, which is located within the fells, pasture and wooded cloughs of the Forest of Bowland Lancashire, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.


The school is one of only a few schools in the UK that is not entirely managed by a Church Diocese or a Local Authority, instead, it benefits from the local and flexible support of the Cawthorne Education Foundation.


The Trust and School retain courteous and close ties to the Grosvenor Estate Abbeystead.


Details of Cawthorne's Endowed School can be found here:  https://abbeysteadschool.co.uk/